Hey everyone!! I am back with another blog post! This time its about coloring your own hair. The products that will be featured here are all from Dr. Hortaleza, Philippines. These were not sponsored and everything that will be posted here are all based on my personal opinion about the product. Just going to throw that in before anyone asks. 🙂
With that said, let’s move on now to the tutorial, shall we? 🙂
LIST OF THINGS THAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Hair Coloring Cream
- Oxidizing Lotion (for the hair)
- Hair Color Applicator
- Big Tooth Comb
- Hair Color Container
- Plastic Gloves
- Big Hair Clip
- Hair Treatment
- Dr. Hortaleza Hair Color Cream (Low Ammonia) in 8/33 Medium Golden
- Dr. Hortaleza 12% Oxidizing Cream
- MengDie Hair Mask bought from Dr. Hortaleza
- Prepare all of the things listed above prior to doing anything so you won’t be going back and forth looking for the materials you’ll need to color your hair.
- Empty the hair color product onto the hair color container. Make sure to use only what you’ll need depending on your hair length.
- Mix the product together with the oxidizing lotion all into a paste and make sure there are no lumps. Make sure that you will use approximately 1/2 cup of oxidizing lotion, again depending on your hair length and how you want your hair to be like (lighter or darker). Take note that the oxidizing lotion serves as your hair color developer. The Dr. Hortaleza offers 3 variations of these: (1) 6% for white hair, (2) 9% for 3-4 lifts and (3) 12% for 4-6 lifts.
- Next, apply the product evenly on damp hair. Not entirely wet or dry, just the right dampness of hair would do. You can opt to shampoo your hair first and towel-dry it in the process. Make sure to also separate strips of hair and clip them in place after you are done with one side or the other. Its best to part your hair in the middle, and clip the left and right side in place then start at the back portion of your hair and work your way up. Another reminder for this process is to always apply starting from about 4-5cm away from the roots until the tips. The Big Tooth Comb will help you in applying the hair color product evenly by combing your hair after applying the product.
- After applying the hair color, make sure to clip the hair into place and leave it to develop for about 30-45 minutes depending on how light or dark you want your hair to be. While doing this, it is advisable to do a 10 minute checkup on a strip of hair to see how the color is developing for you to reach your desired outcome.
- After you have reached your desired outcome, thoroughly wash the hair color product off until the water runs clear and then shampoo it afterwards.
- Apply any hair treatment product or conditioner of your choice and give your hair back the moisture it needs. I personally like to apply a hair treatment because I find that it helps my hair survive all the damage that it’s been through. I suggest you read my previous blog posts to understand why I am telling you this. Well, that’s if you want to, if not, it’s okay. Hehe.
- Lastly, after you have conditioned your hair accordingly, you can now blowdry or just style your hair the way you want to and enjoy the results of this tutorial.
TIPS FOR FIRST TIMERS OR WHAT NOT:
- Make sure to wear plastic gloves the entire time you’re coloring your hair.
- Its best to wash your hair and dry it out before applying the hair color. This will remove all the accumulated dirt and other hair products that you have used all throughout the day.
- Only color your hair the same or change it when the roots have grown about an inch or two already. Don’t just color and color for it will just damage your hair in the long run. Trust me, I have been there and it’s not a good place to be in.
- Always do a skin test before applying any hair coloring product.
- Do a strand test to see how many times you have to color your hair again or if you can achieve your desired color with just one session. Also, this will enable you to determine what kind of oxidizing lotion to use on your next hair coloring experience.
- Condition your hair daily and use Keratin or Protein Rich conditioners once a week to maintain the luster and reduce the damage brought about by coloring it often.
- If your hair is damaged or dry, please refrain from coloring your hair often. Trim the damaged portion first from time to time as you let your hair grow back to its usual and natural color. This will inevitably give you better results in the future.
Well, that’s about it. I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial. If you have anymore questions, feel free to comment down below. The comments are subject to approval because I tend to overlook them at times. So I had to use that setting for me to keep track of who commented on any of my posts. I hope you guys understand. Thank you so much and have a great day/night/afternoon wherever you are! God bless you always! 🙂
TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY!